All About Looe

 

Looe Today

 

 

 

Nowadays the Twin Towns of Looe make an idyllic holiday destination for visitors of all ages and interests, and the town thrives on the Tourist Trade. It is the principal Seaside Resort of South East Cornwall.

Both Paul and I have fallen in love with this “little bit of heaven”.  However, it gets very crowded in the peak summer period, so we would recommend a visit earlier or later in the season.

The two towns are joined together by the Victorian stone bridge that spans the River Looe.  It was built in 1843 and has 7 arches.  The original bridge was widened in the 1960’s to cope with the increase in tourist traffic.

 

CC photo by Fenners1984  flickr

CC photo by zawtowers flickr

From the bridge are beautiful views of the harbour,

with the steep hillsides of the valleys lined with tiers of colourful villas and guesthouses, with gabled slate roofs.

 

 

CC photo by Martin Pettitt flickr

Photo by David Smith Geograph Wikipedia

CC photo by Gilbrit - flickr

West Looe is the smaller and quieter of the two towns, and is situated at the base of a lofty hill.  

Here there is the church of St Nicholas, the 16th century Smugglers’ Inn “The Jolly Sailor”, many hotels and guesthouses.

 

Photo by Mike Smith Geograph Wikipedia

CC photo by lostajy flickr

From here the road leads up to Hannafore with its spacious promenades and fine views of Looe Island (also known as St George's Island) and across to East Looe.  

 

CC photo by lostajy - flickr

CC photo by Martin Pettitt - flickr

CC photo by Martin Pettitt - flickr

This road was built by a local man, Joseph Thomas, a famous civil Engineer who came to live in Looe. As tourism in Looe was growing in interest during the end of the 19th century, he seized the opportunity in 1893 to purchase land at Hannafore from the Duchy of Cornwall, suitable for building houses and hotels.  Previously the only access to Hannafore had been by a narrow cliff-side track.  He constructed the castlellated towers, and elegant granite archways that can be seen supporting the road.  The opening ceremony was held on the 3rd July 1895.  It is reported that garlanded arches were erected at each end of the bridge and at the entrance to the new road, and a procession headed by Sir John Trelawny marched to Hannaofore, where 300 guests dined in a large marquee.

 

Next - Looe Today page 2

The Shapcott Family of Looe    |  Looe Branch A  |   Looe Branch B  |   Looe Branch C   |   All About Looe

 

Main Shapcott Family Contents  |   Shapcotts During The Civil War   |   The Shapcott Family of Stepney & The Second Convict Fleet   

 

Our Branch of the Shapcotts of Whitestone / Exeter  |   Contact Us