Terroni’s Delicatessen, Clerkenwell Road
Terroni’s calls itself “England’s Oldest Italian Delicatessen”.
It was established in 1878, by Luigi Terroni who came from Vesereda, near Pontremoli.
Terroni’s first shop was located in Summer Street; however, it burned down in 1903.
A new shop was opened in Clerkenwell Road near to the St. Peter’s Italian Church. The Terroni family was well regarded within “Il Quartiere Italiano”. The Terroni-s offered other useful services to new Italian immigrants, many illiterate and poorly educated, addressing their problems, giving advice, translating, and assisting with paperwork and filing forms.
In 1983 the business was sold to the Annessa family which still runs it today; however, the business continues to bear the Terroni name. In 2003 the shop was forced to close down for a period. An enlarged and refurbished shop, including the addition of a coffee bar, opened in February 2012. It is, once again, a thriving business in Clerkenwell.
Terroni’s is one of the ancient landmarks of Clerkenwell’s “Little Italy”.